Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chennai police to inquire into the role of drug inspectors in the expired drugs issue

Drug inspectors in Tamilnadu will be investigated on the expired drugs issue, said the Chennai city police commissioner.

Hmm, it is quite obvious that such a large scale illicit business may not have happened without the knowledge of the regulatory authorities. Having said that, not all Drug Inspectors are corrupt but there are cases, I have seen myself.

A retail pharmacy shop owner friend of mine was one day looking at some accounts when I visited him. I was not sure what he was doing and when I asked him he said, "I am looking at the sum collected from the Pharmacy shops in this area". Initially I thought it was some kinda association fund but the reason he told me as a little shocking. He was collecting the money to be given to the Drug Inspector. In local terms - "mamool"!

Shame!